Regular check ups and having your teeth cleaned professionally is essential to protect the health of your teeth and gums. Dental examinations give us the opportunity to identify and treat potential problems before they become painful or complex. We want you to feel confident in your smile and will give on-going advice to enable you to achieve your optimum dental health.
Your check-ups include the following:
- We ask if you are concerned about any aspects of your dental health
- Do you have medical conditions, or are you taking any medicines, which are likely to
impact on your dental health?
- We carry out a lifestyle assessment to identify any risk factors that may affect your oral health
- We examine your teeth and gums and assess their health
- We examine any fillings, crowns etc. and check for stability, function and aesthetics
- We check for plaque in your mouth
- We carry out an oral cancer screen (examination of the inside of your mouth including tongue, cheeks, lips, floor and roof of mouth)
- We examine your bite for signs of wear or instability, eg. tooth wear
- If clinically indicated we carry out x-ray screening to check in between your teeth and the quality of your bone
White or composite fillings are made from synthetic resins mixed with silica particles creating a tooth coloured material which restores the tooth’s original colour, form and function. These composite fillings are technique sensitive, so we ensure we use high quality materials and the most meticulous placement methods to ensure long-term success.
Fillings are used to replace a portion of your tooth that has been lost due to either decay or damage. At The Dental Spa we only use amalgam made up of modern alloys which have extremely high strength and high corrosion resistance. Silver fillings can play an important role in providing strong stable fillings in back teeth for those patients who wish to have them, once all the options have been discussed.
A crown is a type of dental restoration used to fix a broken tooth, to cover and support a tooth with a large filling, to hold a dental bridge and for cosmetic modification. A crown fits over the remaining part of a prepared tooth, strengthening the tooth and giving the tooth a natural appearance. A crown will sometimes need to be fitted after a root canal treatment.
There is a choice of different types of crowns: Emax, Porcelain, Zirconia and Gold.
Root Canal Treatment
What is root canal treatment?
Also known as endodontic treatment, root canal treatment, is a means of saving a tooth that may be damaged by fracture, infection or decay.
The purpose is to restore the tooth and surrounding tissues to health and function whilst relieving any dental pain, which may be present. Without endodontic treatment, the only other alternative is often to have the infected tooth removed and replaced with an implant, bridge or removable denture.
- Retaining your natural tooth is usually the best treatment outcome if achievable.
- When endodontic treatment is carried out in appropriate cases and to a high standard, very high success rates can be achieved. It is also a cost-effective way to treat damaged teeth.
- Once your root filling is finished a permanent or temporary filling will be placed.
We will advise you on what restoration is recommended to protect the tooth from
fracture and restore it to its full function
We will always do our best to save your teeth, however occasionally a tooth extraction may be necessary due to damage caused by injury or disease, or due to impacted wisdom teeth.
The majority of tooth extractions are straightforward. It is important you follow at-home care that includes rest and gentle care of the extraction site. Your dentist will discuss what to expect during and after the procedure, and give you clear aftercare instructions.
For further information about any of our services please call us: 020 8785 7105.